Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Defeating Bowser

It was stated in a facebook status update that someone needs time off from their time off-ness and I said that I used to get a lot done on my days off...like defeating Bowser. But now I associate time off with days I don't go to Bonner Springs so I just sit around and mope.

Anyway, in improv class tonight, (just go with that segway why don't you) I found out that while I'm getting better with my own facial expressions, I'm not great with picking up on my scene partner's facial expression. As it turns out, this is one of those things I suffer from by being a man. We did a game tonight that was simular to "wake-up" in which everyone had been in a coma type state but regain conciousness...but we act with eachother through facial and body language. In a scene I was in, Nifer was my partner who started out really happy. I picked up she was really happy but I didn't pick up on what she was happy about. Her smile, to me anyway and only to me, looked more like a cunning smile as though she knew a secret/did something to me that I didn't know. It went from there but I was obviously off from the get-go.
John had told me before that lack of comfort in showing facial expression is inherent in the evolution of man as a gender...though that wording is my interpretation of what he said. I found out today that it is likewise in reading the scene partner's facial expression...and apparently, so is the ability in doing a scene without words. Predominately, without words, I am screwed.

This is my challenge for the month. Besides improving upon my own facial expressions...something I've already started working on, I need to work on reading the expression of my fellow performer.

No comments: