Friday, December 11, 2009

Bring it down slowly...TOO SLOW!

I love going to the Roving Imp. Have I mentioned that before here on this blog? Because if I haven't, I do. Tonight was a rehearsal for ONE and Coma Chamilion. I'm not in either show but I am in the booth for both of them. In ONE, the location was a Mad Scientist's Lab. All of the years and charicters were conected and continued through to future dates. The ONE person was a guy named Bill (some Italian last name that I can't remeber) who sales used cars, is married to a woman who keeps having children through his best friend and a Mexican uncle who has been in prison so he's been REALLY lonely to the nth degree.
Tech wise, what I do for these shows is I usually black out at the end. For the most part, that's all I do so it's not very tech heavy. Strangely enough, this has been the one that was the hardest for me to grasp the blackout...but the first ONE that I teched was during the ImpFest and there was an issue with the camera that left me not sure where to end. But 2 months later, I feel confident.
Anyway, during the Coma Chamilion rehearsal, they did 2 animals. The first was my suggestion which was a Red Breased Boobie (which came up in a DANG game a while back and there was an issue on if it was really Blue Footed Boobie or if the Red Breased one actually existed...I looked it up on the computer at home and it actually existed...but this is back story now.) That went well tech wise and then they did a crab...which also went well tech wise.
The Coma part uses lights more. The person is in a coma, they say why (Chante' was ran through with a Christmas tree or something like that) and then they are visited in the hospital by someone. The visiter says something and then lights down...lights back up on the dream of the coma patient. After a few scenes, it's lights out. Lights back up and another visiter is seeing them in the hospital. The fade on the light board is slow. This was a problem at the Imp Fest (for me anyway...always remember that in my mind, problems are blown out of proportian more than they really are) in which I had started to dim but someone came on stage so I had to hold off blacking out completely. We worked some with this and this is where the title comes from. I was bringing the lights down and I would go too fast. Then, I went too slow. Finally, I got it just right. I like blackout because it will black out right away. The fadeing changes slowly.
Anyway, that show and Dictionary Soup (which is my favorite show at the Roving Imp when I have to count down but tied very very close to Biblioclast) are tomorrow night and then Anomoly Orange and Biblioclast is Saturday night.

No comments: