Thursday, August 26, 2010

Genius: The Best of Warren Zevon

This is the third Warren Zevon album to carry a Greatest Hits name with it. The first 2 were "A Quiet Normal Life" and "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (An Anthology)" "A Quiet Normal Life" can barely be called a greatest hits because it's limited by the fact that it came out in 1986 and only has 5 studio albums out of 14 to pull from. Yes, I'm including The Wind in that total even though all greatest hits were out before The Wind was released. "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (An Anthology)" is bigger and pulls from not just 12 albums, but previously unreleased material and some TV programs that Warren Zevon sang for the opening credits. Genius is purely a Greatest Hits compilation that pulls from 11 albums. It doesn't pull from any live albums and, unfortunately, pales when it comes to some albums. But it's a sampling of the Warren Zevon library leading upto 2002 (the same year as My Ride's Here came out) put onto 1 CD. And it was also the 2nd Warren Zevon album I ever got. The first was The Wind. I would listen to this album a lot my first semester commuting back and forth to KU during the week. To be completely honest, I would have been happy if there were some previously unreleased songs on it. But at the time I got it, it was one of the most intriging albums I ever listened to and it has brought me hours of entertainment.

No comments: