Friday, December 24, 2010

End of the year Improv Annalisist

This isn't going to be a review of improv shows I've seen this year...though I could probably do a blog on that. What I'm doing here is giving an update on the annalisist of my personal improv expierence and where I'm at now.
I got started with improv in July '08 when I "joined a troup" and then started taking classes at the Roving Imp on the 19th of July that year. Back then, I had every issue that a new improvisor could start out with wrong with me...except for an enthusiasm for improv...and the drive to get better.
Unfortunately, very few people are "born-with-it" and everyone learns at there own pace. 2 1/2 years later, I have finally gotten comfortable with moving my body, having an emotional relationship with my scene partner, playing the game...
Okay, well, I've always been comfortable playing the game. It's finding and recognizing the game I've had trouble with and still have trouble with sometimes.
Emotional relations was probably the absolute hardest hurdle for me to get over and get over seriously...in other words, real emotion, not something fake. This is one of those things that come with the territory of having a Y chromosone (I'm a guy, therefore, having an emotion and selling it are two different things).
I have always been better at short form games...the games someone sees played on the show Whose Line Is It Anyway...and not so strong at Long form. I have been trying desperately but it's been lacking. I've been in 2 long forms in the last 4 months. In September, I was in a plus rounde in which my charicter was shy but trying to fit in in a town where naked is the norm. On December 11, I was in a La Rounde that had magical potions and people died and came back as chickens and I wound up getting pregnant.
One of the reasons I haven't been strong at long form is because I've been afraid to add information...I might say something that contradicts something that someone else already said. Sometimes, it is still hard for me to find an emotion and I might wind up going for a logical response (which is also a product of having a Y chromosone). I have recently discovered that I don't catch on to my physicality.
Months ago, I had an issue with personal placement in relation to my scene partner. I would be on one end of the stage and they would be on the other. However, I have recently discovered that I've been standing too close to my scene partner. This closeness suggests something to the audiance that I don't see while I'm on stage. I've pretty much wound up putting myself into romantic situations with my scene partner that I don't notice from where I stand on stage.
Also, in scenes, I will tell a joke. There are a few problems with telling a joke in an improv scene. One is that it doesn't take the show anywhere and can, in fact, kill the scene. It sets you up for the responsability of telling more jokes. It's not needed...pure and simple. What improvisation wants is to be real and in the moment. A joke requires thought. Improv should be more actual gut reaction and not planned out preperation. Seriously, an improv scene in which a person's reactions are closer to real life emotional reaction, the better.

So now I've come to the point where I want to state the nitty gritty of where I am at in my improv for the end of 2010:

As far as I'm concerned, I've come along way in the past couple of years. I've gotten emotional. It hasn't been 100% clear what all the time but in class, I'm getting called down a lot less for it.
I've moved my body in ways that I had no idea it could move.
I've succeded in facial exspressions and, occasionally, accents.
Along with emotional, I've been responding more emotionally and less logically lately. It not where it could be. But it's a lot less.

One of my goals for going into 2011 is that I want to make absolutely sure I feel towards the other charicter. I really don't care what that feeling is, just as long as I feel something for them...love, hate, ect. I want there to be a without a doubt feeling towards them.
I want to be aware of my physicality on stage or at least be able to see it from the audiance's point of view.
Finally, I would like to be able to get by with just reacting realistically...no logical or joke responses. I also want to be able to realize when I'm about to say a joke and not do the joke. The same goes for inventing things that weren't there before...not to be confused with adding information. The information I add can be done without inventing anything new.

Anyway, this is where I see myself standing for my improv as I go from 2010 to 2011.

1 comment:

Hannah M said...

Keep it up! You're doing it right.