Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Music - New vs. Old

This is not a blog entry about how I prefer classic rock over the newer stuff that's out now (which I usually do wind up doing) but about how annoying I find it when people say they ONLY like the early stuff of an artist. It annoys me that it's always an artist's earlier stuff that gets any play on the radio as though that's the only thing that's any good. If an aritst doesn't improve with time, then they have no business being in music anyway. For example, you can't say that the Beatles are so awesome when you've only listen to "I Want To Hold Your Hand" but never listen to the album Let It Be. I usually use the example asking why it is that "Werewolves of London" is predominately the ONLY song by Warren Zevon that people know when that came out in the late 70s on his third album Excitable Boy. His musical carrer continued on up to 2003 when he passed away but just before that released his last studio album The Wind. As far as I'm concerned, if you only like the first and or second album of an artist or band from between the 60s and early 80s who are still making music well into the 2010s, then you aren't really a fan of the band. In all reality, that's fine. But don't say they are so awesome but then ignore all of their best stuff. As far as I'm concerned, that is the musical version of someone saying that they are a vegitarian but they still eat fish or chicken.
But then again, I'm kind of the weird one. I actually prefer an artist or bands later material. I have every album put out by the band BOSTON. Probably my favorite is Corporate America which came out late in 2002. Don't get me wrong, I still like their earlier stuff. But that album is so awesome to me. Now, it could be the fact that 2002 was the year I graduated high school and started college. It could also be the fact that it was less than a year after that album came out that I saw BOSTON at Verizon Wireless Ampatheater in Bonner Springs, KS July 2003. Also, it could be the fact that it was the last album BOSTON came out with that had Brad Delp on lead vocals for 1/2 of the songs before committing suicide in March 2006.
I could probably write a paper on how much Warren Zevon's Life'll Kill Ya (2000) and The Wind (2003) means to me but for the sake of those who really know me well and/or who have read this blog before, I'll try and limit that paper's worth of information to this paragraph. I'll say that almost all Warren Zevon albums from Transverse City to My Ride's Here (which is every studio album between about 1988-2002) had to be ordered.
I could go on and include artist or bands like Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, John Fogerty, Van Halen, Meat Loaf...
I don't know. Maybe I'm just set in my ways. I'm just saying it annoys me when people say they really love an artist or band but only focus on thier earlier stuff. It's like Ricky Nelson said (and later covered by John Fogerty) in the song "Garden Party":
If memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck.

No comments: