Monday, February 28, 2011

Hello, my name is Harry Wallace

So, last Thursday, we had our first and only rehearsal for a new "Serial Cereal" and we had our first show Saturday night. The sannopsis is this wrestling family named the Maddoxes consist of sick grandpa Cranston "Mad Ox" Maddox(played by John), his nurse/former card holding girl (played by Denise), grandpa's son "Marvelous" Marvin Madox who can't wrestle for his life (played by Derek), and granddaughter Gretchen Maddox who can wrestle but nobody in the family believes her because she's a girl (played by Julie). Then I play the next door neighbor Harry Wallace.
In our rehearsal, we talked about what our charicters were like and what their back ground was. I said the following about Harry Wallace:
I live next door to the Maddoxes and I'm 31 years old. I was married once and had a child right out of high school but I haven't heard from then in 10 years. I'm still "legally" married. I'm looking, but I have trust issues with women. I've lived next door to the Maddoxes since before they moved in. I don't enjoy wrestling but I love their infatuation with it. I tend to spend as much time at their house as possable and I try to give sage advise but I just come across as crazy and a neucence. Except for helping the grandpa with his "medacle issue" even though I have no medacle training. I just want to be accepted. I have an associates degree from a community college and I still have no idea what to do with it.
After we read through this, we did some scenes and then did video for the show. Some of this info got rehashed in making the video. Then, I drove home in the snow storm.
Saturday night was the actual show. I learned some new things about my charicter between what I wrote about him and the end of the show. It turns out my child I haven't seen in 10 years is a daughter. This was not planned but it turned out that Harry Wallace sees Julie's charicter Gretchen as a daughter figure...which makes me want to get her family to accept her as a wrestler...which leads to me trying to give her father Marvin proverbs and metaphores to incurage him to accept her as a female wrestler. Of course, my proverbs get turned around...for example, I was telling him that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...unless the tree is on a steep slope in which gravaty takes over. So now, Marvin sees that Gretchen is the apple to his gravaty. Somehow, Marvin, who is about 15-20 years older than Harry, sees his proverbs as wise. Oh, and Harry picks up Pizza for the family. And as it turns out, Harry comes across as a little creepy to Gretchen and too willing to talk about his feelings in front of Cranston. Also, he and Candy both think I'm trying to hit on them.
Anyway, that's my charicter of Harry Wallace after the 1 and only rehearsal session and the first of 6 episodes Saturday night. Since this will be a requring charicter, I thought it would be a good idea to update my blog with a charicter study after each episode. Now, I don't know when I'll update again. But I want to make sure that I do update after each episode with a bit of a charicter study.

No comments: