Saturday, April 23, 2011

Yeah, that's what I said.

Have you been up to Lawrence for improv yet on Thursday nights?

April 14th was the first night that we performed for the Roving Imp up in Lawrence on the KU campus. We're performing in the ECM building between the Kansas Union and the new hotel...this new hotel was built where the campus bar was when I was at KU...and I only graduated in 2009.
Anyway, we continue on with the 5th episode of Maddox Family Wrestling Syndicate Saturday night. This is the one where I'm playing Harry Wallace. John provided the audiance Thursday night with a little preview by performing as Cranston Maddox giving the worse advice in Good Advice, Bad Advice, Worst Advice.
Also, while speaking of Lawrence shows, Thursday night this week was the 2nd show out there. I claimed on facebook that my personal highlight was singing the last verse of a protest song about campfires. I'm one of those weird people who finds musical games very relaxing...for the most part. Irish Drinking Song, Hoedown, Protest Song...about the only one I'm not extreamely comfortable with is Beasty Rap. It's one thing to come up with a rhyme yourself...or come up with a word that someone else has to rhyme with...or knocking down a rhyme you were set up with. It's something else to have to come up with the rhyme AND drop the hints to your team can guess what it is you're wanting to say. Sometimes it's easy...the word you're rhyming with is Book. You want your team to say "hook". "I'm Peter Pan fighting Captain..." "HOOK!" That's easy provided you know who Peter Pan is and you can hear and understand the hint. Sometimes, if you are a member of the possy, you can't understand the hint because of the beat or the hint means nothing to you. There was one time in rehearsal I was on a team with John and Ashley. John was trying to get Ashley and I to say bar...using the hint to refer to the bar that a lawyer has to pass. I know this now because I was there. I had no idea what John was talking about. Fortunately, Ashley is a lawyer so it made perfect sense to her. The fortunate thing about the other song games, except for Irish Drinking Song, you set up your own rhyme. I love rhyming by the way. Irish Drinking song, you set up the rhyme for whoever is the number 4 person whenever you're number 2. Provided your word is easily rhymable, the number 4 person can come up (in theory) with anything in the world to rhyme with and make a complete sentence.
Anyway, I just really like rhyming/singing games for the most part.
Anyway, on the subject of Improv, congradulations to John and Keith for getting accepted to the Duo Fest again this year!
Now before I post this, I'm going to say that I'm going to sincerely try and keep this updated more often.

No comments: