Sunday, January 30, 2011

2010 Part 2: Books, Movies and Music

So, I finally got back to this. I'm about to name off the books I read (100% on my own), movies I saw at the movie theater, and new music I bought. Then, based upon how long it took for me to get this, this will be my last update about 2010.

Books:
The following are books that I at least finished on my own (no part aloud in groups or with audio help). These books are not in any order.
1) The Second City Almanac (barrowed from Nifer).
2) Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets (Sorcer's Stone was read aloud).
3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
4) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Goblet of Fire was read a little aloud and Order of the Pheonix was audio recorded).
5) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
6) I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Lives and Times of Warren Zevon.
7) Basket Case (barrowed from Allen).
8) The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe (Hitchhicker's Guide was read aloud at the Roving Imp).
9) Life, The Universe, And Everything.

Movies: The following are movies that I remember seeing at the movie theater but not necessarily in any order.

1) Sherlock Holmes.
2) The remake of The Wolfman.
3) Date Night.
4) Shrek Goes Forth.
5) Toy Story 3-D.
6) Alpha And Omega.
7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.
8) Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
9) Gulliver's Travels.

Music: The following is new music that I purchased...not all music published in 2010. But I bought it in 2010...or got as a gift...in no particular order.
1) Warren Zevon: Transverse City (Ordered).
2) Warren Zevon: Learning to Flinch (Found).
3) The Killers: Day and Age (Found).
4) Meat Loaf: Hang Cool Teddy Bear (Day it came out).
5) Meat Loaf: Midnight At The Lost And Found (Found).
6) John Lennon: Legend (*Bought from Nifer at the R. I. Garage Sale).
7) The Elders: Gael Day (Found).
8) Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Bethoven's Last Night (B-Day gift).
9) Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Night Castle (B-Day gift).
10) Bruce Springsteen: The Promise (Christmas gift).
11) Bob Seger: Mongrel (Steve gave this one to me).
12) Bob Seger: Early Seger Vol. 1 (Found).
13) Paul Simon: Graceland (*).
14) Johnny Cash: American VI: Ain't No Grave (*).

Well there it is. These are the books, movies and music that I have seen/bought/got in 2010. I could go in and say something about them but I've done that before on a few of them. I will go ahead and say that the top movies in 2010 were Harry Potter, Dawn Treder, and Date Night is tied with Wolfman. Reading the Harry Potter books probably very much changed my life...or at least the way I look at things. The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon took the longest for me to finish because I started it in 2007. All the others, I started last year. Basket Case had some help from Warren Zevon...hince the reason it was loaned to me. Unfortunately, I don't get into crime novels to well but I still enjoied it. I only added 14 albums to my music library but I wound up selling about 50. I was new to liking the Killers last year...I liked them before with "All These Things That I Have Done" but I really got into them last year. Warren Zevon's Transverse City was the first album I bought last year. It snowed the night before and I shoveled the snow...then found out it was in. My purpose for shoveling the snow was because there was a rehearsal that night and the first ever rehearsal for Dimensional Rift.

I did not include the movie Trust Us This Is All Made Up with TJ and Dave because, even though that was seen at a theater, it was at the Roving Imp Theater as a special night thing...not a let's go to the movie theater and see a movie thing. In other words, it was to hang out and watch an educational video about improv. But because I do think it should get honorable mention, I'm giving it its own paragraph. We saw it on Friday, January 1, 2010.

If I were to include a few other first time cultural things, I went to Chicago for the first time ever with my improv friends in April. But I talked about that a few times already. But I also saw an opera for the first time last February. It was out at KU and was being stage managed by Jenifer Harmon. I've also talked non-stop about this but I also went behind the scenes for the KC Improv Fest in September.

That's about it. There: 2010 summed up in a 2 part blog entry that took forever to finish.